22.12.13

Late Late Autumn.

I'm actually not THAT late with this post, since Google's animation informed us all that the first day of winter was only yesterday. I love Google's different animations, it really makes my day when I open up my browser :)

ANYWAYS, I don't think I've blogged for almost a year, and I'd be surprised if any readers still come back, but I thought it'd be a waste to really let this blog go.

Not going to lie, I haven't taken any outfit photos since I moved out of dorms after first year and I'm now living in a not very picturesque house with some friends. Toronto's ridiculously expensive housing, sigh.

So I recently dyed my hair (as in 2 months ago... sorry guys...) a super autumn-inspired look and I thought I'd do a quick review on the process and the dye in case any of you are interested. If you've been following my blog, you probably realized that I've had this dark copper dip-dye look for over a year, and I've been feeling less and less original as the style catches on.



I thought I'd switch things up while the leaves were changing too! So here's the freshly dyed look when I got it at the end of October:


Sorry for the super big, in-your-face selfies by the way. But who doesn't want to see a huge photo of my face ;)
I kid.

For a bright red dye like the one I used, I didn't have much selection from my local drugstore. The only bright red I managed to find were all semi-permanent, and I was recommended to use Splat. The dye looks like this:

It came with more than enough bleach for me to do my ends, and the red dye was enough for 2 of my other friends to dip dye their hair too.
I'm not really a tutorial/review blogger so you guys probably don't want the step-by-step process, but basically you bleach your hair at least a day before you dye it. You put more bleach on the ends and less as you make your way up, and follow instructions carefully! Bleach can stain anything so gather a lot of old tshirts and trash bags.
The bleach worked really well on my hair. My copper ends were more than a year old, but I think it would work fine on any colour hair too.

And then the red dye gets a little tricky.... You have to apply it to the mid section of your hair, leaving the bottom part untouched. Saran wrap helps with that. Pile on the dye, because most of it will actually wash off. I think you should also wait longer than the recommended time on the box.

It's pretty easy up to this point, but it was washing the red dye out of my hair that was brutal. I think I spent more than an hour and a half rinsing, because the box said to rinse until the water runs clear. And let me tell you, it probably will never run clear. The reason it's a little tricky is because as you rinse the red out, it runs through the tips and dyes them a little. The tips will probably not be as blond afterwards, and will become more orange as you wash your hair each time, like so:


After two months, my hair looks almost the same as the copper I had before, with some streaks of red still left. It's just a lot more dead...

This is probably the longest post I've ever written haha.
Happy dyeing and Happy holidays!
I'm off to Peru :)


11 comments:

  1. - Thank you so much honey, I hope you have too! Followed back! I love you hair color!

    kisses,
    Inês de Castro- http://fashiongetsfierceblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you do keep up the blog, it's great! Would you like to follow each other on GFC?
    Regards from Madrid
    Bellassinperderlacabeza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE the red in your hair!!
    You're sooo pretty!
    Kisses from Brazil x

    http://www.juliechagas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you... blog? c':

    I'm so proud.

    I think I've said this enough, but GOSH I LOVE YOUR HAIR; even if it's kind of dead (but then again, my hair's dead too, and I haven't even done anything to it, so...).

    Please, please blog more in the future? c:

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww your hair looks so great! i wish i have long hair like your to do that! :3

    SHE WALKS Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that lip colour on you in the first photo! Toronto is certainly expensive to live in, but I love this city a lot. : ) Have fun in Peru!
    jessydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. it does look great on you sweetie!

    looks like fire

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

     
    Facebook / Instagram /Twitter / Chicisimo

     - Hannah's Heels

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the lipstick color! So cute! :) xx

    Mitzee

    factshionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful hair *_* happy new year! your blog is very lovely and interesting. im glad if you visit my blog, too <3

    xx
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww... i like your outfit. you're pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete